Reduce System Heat on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by claus1225, Sep 25, 2009.

1. claus1225 macrumors member

May 25, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there are any ways to lower system temperature on MBP? My machine would get hot (particular the left side) even though I am just doing simple tasks like surfing and word processing.

thank you,
  2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    They all tend to do that. Its really quite normal, and considering that the body is aluminum which conducts heat quite well you will see that it will get quite warm, and the upper left is where the processor is.
  3. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2009
    1) reapply thermal paste, which is generally plopped on poorly by apple.
    2) SMCfancontrol app should allow you to control the fanspeed manually. I think the 2000rpm is just too low for default and generally set mine to 3.4 to 4.2 for the best db/cooling ratio.
    3) You can get a cooling pad--I personally use the logitech n100 cooling pad which I find the best in ergonomics and db/efficiency.
    4) You can try undervolting using which is what the macbook airs use, but can be used for all macbooks.

They all tend to do that, but that doesn't mean you have to put up with it.
  4. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine runs fairly cool (50c-55c) during light usage but I have noticed that "Finder" will make my MBP run significantly warmer. Open Activity Monitor and check to see what processes are using CPU cycles. If Finder is above 10% it helps to choose "always open in column view" for your Finder windows or to be sure you keep the Finder window closed when you're not using it.
  5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Dad's MacBook Pro's min fan speed is 1000RPM! He said it got really really hot just surfing the web and watching youtube. So I got SMCFanControl for him so he could turn up the fans lol:D
  6. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    What's fairly hot? You need to quantify your definition. Another poster in this thread said is his was cool running at 50-55c I wouldn't say that was cool but it was his opinion.

My MBP using smcFanControl and an enermax laptop cooling pad keep my MBP in the mid to upper 40s on light work into the mid 50s for a little more intensive work. so I'm seeing 40-55c range on my laptop.

I have no idea what temp range your MBP is running so either get istat pro (to report temps and fan speed) - its a free widget or get the freeware smcFanControl. It allows you to control the fan speed and reports the temps.
  7. ZizousamA macrumors member

Jul 11, 2009
    From my observation, the main reason that causes the system to heat is the CPU consumption percentage. Do as previously pointed out by other posters (SMC + Position your MBP on an appropriate surface, if you haven't already), but be sure to look into the CPU and see if something is occupying its resources. My system's average heat is around 45 to 60, but when the CPU is busy it gets to 90c despite taking measures to keep the system cool.
  8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

Nov 28, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    I can highly recommend this laptop stand:

Targus Cool Pad

It gives the laptop for space underneath which allows air to circulate and cool the laptop down more efficiently than when it's just standing on a table. It also lifts the back of the laptop up slightly which makes it more comfortable to type on (similar to putting the little legs up on the rear of normal keyboard).

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    If the only complaint is that the machine is uncomfortable on one's lap, then why bother spending money on a cooling pad when a magazine or small children's book will do the exact same thing?
  10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2009
    Yes, if it gets hot, I use SMC and a book;). Works every time. I hover around 40-45C when I word process/surf and do other light work with the fans at 2000 RPM. With My VM on, I usually ramp my fans up to 3000 to keep my machine from going past 75C. Sometimes I forget to turn up the fan speed, and my MBP can reach 85C quite quickly... but it's normal;). With so much power packed into such a thin enclosure, things are bound to get hot.

So if you want to reduce temperature, I recommend:

1. When you are at your desk, try propping it up in the back with some foam blocks or something to improve circulation (and improve typing angle:))
    2. Use SMC fan control
  11. omgitzjoie macrumors newbie

Sep 4, 2009
    Would it damage the laptop if you just let it run hot on a desk? It doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about the insides of my comp.
  12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

Jun 16, 2007
    The left side of ALL MacBooksPro's mobile computers will always be hotter than the rest and it's nothing to do with the CPU, GPU or the logicboard! It's hot because that's where the charge circuit is, usually once youe system stop charging, it'll drop a few degrees. Now unless your machine is running hot enough to poach an egg (80°C and above) don't worry about it, Intel mobile processors are more then capable of handling the heat!!
  13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

Jun 16, 2007
    Nope, not at all! One of my laptops have been running on a glass desktop for over two years and it's been fine! And under pressure, it's temps occasionally reach 100°C but it keeps on ticking!! :D
  14. Greenman85 macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2009

how does smcfancontrol affect battery? thx