reduced battery life on jailbroken phones?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by glocke12, Jun 17, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I JB'd my 3g2 about 2 months ago, and since than it really seems like I get a greatly reduced battery life.

My stats are:

22 hours 18 minutes of stdby
    2 hrs, 53 minutes of usage
    21% battery life

the usage included some web surfing and a few emails. This is also with push notifications off.

It really seems that prior to jailbreaking I was able to go alot longer on a single charge....

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Best thing to do is restore, then re-JB. Sometimes battery issues pop up when jailbreaking. Always choose set up as new to get clean jailbreak.

3. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

Yeah, I jailbreaked then restored my iPhone 3G (as a new phone) -- and I am still getting reduced battery life, even with the jailbreak gone.

I also have this strange thing happen sometimes, where the phone will light up and I will see a Volume thingy, with the volume being decreased as though someone were turning it down -- only no one is touching it. It's really weird. :eek:

4. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I never experienced reduced battery life when JB'ing, unless I'd been doing some serious backgrounding.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I only have SBsettings and I know I'm having to charge more often. :eek:

6. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

My battery life went all to ***** after I jailbroke. I can have nothing running in the background and not use the phone for anything and yet within 3 hours of turning it on I had lost 41%.

7. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I heard SBSettings is actually a big battery drainer.

8. RubberShoes macrumors regular

Mine has done very well for the 2 and a half years of unlocking and jailbreaking my original. Just now am I having to plug it in during the day :( but for being pretty much 3 years old and active, I'm pretty proud of it.

So unless you're doing something wrong, or using Winterboard and/or SBsettings you shouldn't have any problems

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I've jb'd three separate phones over the last 2 years and had this problem every time.

I read somewhere a very long time ago that if you restore the phone through itunes (ie, your backed up music, not the custom firmware) that this action has a sizable affect on your battery life.

Nonetheless, I run an iPhone in China that I got in the States for $100 usd, so I can't complain much and charging it every night has become habit for me.

That being said if I have the edge network on while using GPS my battery lasts less than 1 hour - fun, right?!

Good luck trying to figure this one out - here's hoping os4 helps w/ this.

Cheers,
    Brian

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In my experience, the battery issues are a hit or miss situation.

I have done numerous jailbreaks and only twice have I had to redo them due to battery issues. Once redone, the same phone(s) didn't have battery issues after the jailbreak.

It does make a BIG difference if you choose set up as new, but syncing back your music, apps, contacts, calendar, movies and pictures has no effect on battery life in my experience.

As stated, the biggest controllable factor is the set up as new choice. I learned that a long time ago.

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I certainly noticed that - thanks for the confirmation. I did read somewhere the reason for the reduction, but it could have been 1+ years ago and now I forget.

Was wondering if that was still an issue, so thanks.

Brian

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

That explains a lot. In that case, I'm chucking it. While it may be useful to others, a program that drains the battery is not useful to me.