Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulvoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I reciently had an accedent with my iphone and cracked the lower right hand portion of my 8gb iphone. I went to 2 stores and all they could do is tell me to give them $249 and they would fix it for me. I without blinking said "No thank you but thank you" and was dissapointed that they felt the need to charge that much to repair something that was already $599 + Tax.

Now since the 8gb was reduced by $200 do you think that they will reduce the costs of repairs through Apple?

I cannot see them continue to charge $249 to replace a now $399 phone. Thats over half the cost of the phone.

Hopefully they will reduce the repair fees or do something.

Oh btw, the service manager wanted to charge me $70 for a rental iphone. Arent they supposed to be free?

Thanks

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
I reciently had an accedent with my iphone and cracked the lower right hand portion of my 8gb iphone. I went to 2 stores and all they could do is tell me to give them $249 and they would fix it for me. I without blinking said "No thank you but thank you" and was dissapointed that they felt the need to charge that much to repair something that was already $599 + Tax.

Now since the 8gb was reduced by $200 do you think that they will reduce the costs of repairs through Apple?

I cannot see them continue to charge $249 to replace a now $399 phone. Thats over half the cost of the phone.

Hopefully they will reduce the repair fees or do something.

Oh btw, the service manager wanted to charge me $70 for a rental iphone. Arent they supposed to be free?

Thanks

I think the rentals are suppose to be around $30. But I could be wrong. I know they aren't free.

Is the crack bad? DOes it affect the normal use of the iphone? If you bought it with a credit card check to see if they have that 90 day protection plan, which covers accidental damage. Maybe you can get them to reimburse you the full cost of it and then you could buy a new 8gb for $200 cheaper.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Rental phones are indeed $30 as I just had to get one. Part of my screen randomly stopped sensing touches.

In regards to the repair cost being high....I had to pay $1000 to get my LCD fixed on my MBP. Almost half the price I paid. It was a tragic day. The "kind folks at Apple" told me I could not get it fixed anywhere else for less and still keep my warranty. I sadly handed it over to them to fix.

Then I got an email back the next day from someone I tried to contact about repairs (authorized Apple repair location). They would have fixed it for $800. I was pretty pissed, but Apple wouldn't give me any money back.

If I were you, I'd check around and see if any Apple authorized repair locations can fix it for less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.