Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

reducing imac UI lag

roninpawnee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
hello,

i just got my retina iMac with the M290X and a 4 GHz processor. I use it just for coding and scientific computation at work.

In my two days of using it, I noticed that during half my sessions, there is incredible UI lag. For example, I dread switching to another app by swiping with 4 fingers on the trackpad because it'll take a good second and switch suddenly without any animation. Mission control etc have the same problem.

The other half of my sessions seem much better and any lag doesn't get in the way of work.

Does anyone know what makes the difference? Is there something i can do to stop this awful UI lag?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
hello,

i just got my retina iMac with the M290X and a 4 GHz processor. I use it just for coding and scientific computation at work.

In my two days of using it, I noticed that during half my sessions, there is incredible UI lag. For example, I dread switching to another app by swiping with 4 fingers on the trackpad because it'll take a good second and switch suddenly without any animation. Mission control etc have the same problem.

The other half of my sessions seem much better and any lag doesn't get in the way of work.

Does anyone know what makes the difference? Is there something i can do to stop this awful UI lag?
Use OS X El Capitan. That'll solve all your lag problems.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Yea, El Capitan is pretty much the only answer. It is truly a night and day difference. Find a beta release, wait for Public Beta, or wait for official release. Yosemite is a disgusting mess graphics-wise, and to blame for your problems.

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
hello,

El Cap will fix all UI lag, and it's a few upgrade in the fall :)

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
I can't wait for El Capitan and an iMac refresh this fall. My 09 iMac is seriously struggling. :(

baopdoge

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2015
it is only two channel or just get a copy of the Remaster for $10 and call it a day.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It depends on what you are doing with the machine but it seems that the machines with a retina display suffer the most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.