Reducing MP3 Size

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dwightshrute, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dwightshrute macrumors newbie

I've just started using WireTap to record audio. I'm saving everything in an MP3 format, but the files are very large once it's done. I'm saving it directly to MP3, 128kbs but the files are like 5MB's (for 3 or 4 mins of audio) when it's all said and done.

Is there anyway I can reduce the size of these files without losing audio quality?

Thanks!!!

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

When you lose the bits you effectively lose the data that contains the audio that was contained in those bits. So in answer to your last question, no you cant strip the file size but keep the same quality.

how long are these recordings that your doing? 3/5 mins? you might be able to get them to 96kbps. But at the end of the day 5megs is about normal for 3/5 mins worth of song.. all of my MP3s in my library are 192kbps

Hope this helps

PTP

3. dwightshrute thread starter macrumors newbie

That does help, thank you very much. I guess I just didn't realize how big the files can be. Not that they're super huge or anything, I just thought they would be smaller. I'm going to switch them up to 192. The first one I did was 320 and came out to be 9.5MB's, and I guess i just thought that was too big.

THANKS!!!

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You do know what 128Kps means? It means that for every second of recording 128,000 bits (or 16K Bytes) are written to the file. Every 128K file that is the same length is the same number of bits.

What is the source? If the source is not high quality even 128kbs may be more then you need. The only way these files can get smaller is to reduce the bit rate.

5. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

5mb's is not very much at all, to be honest. And for the record, everytime you reduce the bitrate of something it is going to lose some sound quality. For example if you took an original recording and compressed it to 320kbps, you are loosing a lot of sound quality, and if you then convert it to 128 kbps you are taking a file of reduced sound quality and then reducing it even more. And for the record, a lot of us chose to use lossless audio (original recording quality, or as close as possible) and the file size is more like 40 mb so like i said 5mb is nothing.