Reducing MP3s

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cberry240, Jun 24, 2010.

1. cberry240 macrumors member

Other than using iTunes is there a free program for Macs that can easily reduce the size of MP3s?

The reason I am avoiding iTunes is because it puts it in a new folder within iTunes. I want something that will overwrite the current file or at least not bury it within 4 folders.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

To reduce the size of an MP3 means decoding it, then re-encoding it again. Meaning twice the quality loss. Some MP3's can be pretty ropey as it is. You don't really want to inflict twice the damage on your music if you can avoid it.
    Far better to re-encode from the original CD where possible.

Also, you don't have to have iTunes organise your music for you, if you don't want it to. You can change that in the preferences easily enough.

4. thevibesman macrumors regular

Completely agree. While you are at it, might as well reencode as AAC, everything I've heard and read seems to make me think they sound better.

Yep, as others have already pointed out, it is not a good idea.

An MP3 to begin with is a low quality, compressed, inferior representation of the original.

If you re-encode an already existing MP3, you'll simply end up with an even lower quality, compressed, inferior representation of an already low quality, compressed, inferior representation of the original. Now, who wants that?

6. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

It definitely sounds better for the same given bit rate/file size :)
    128k AAC sounds pretty good to my ears. A 128k MP3 sounds horrible..
    (I tend to use 256k AAC)

7. itsmevader macrumors newbie

I always use gold wave mp3 converter to reduce mp3 file size. It hardly makes any effect on sound quality.