Reducing the actual resolution on retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roksraka, Dec 3, 2014.

1. roksraka macrumors member

I have recently experienced many problems when trying to learn digital painting with Photoshop and a Wacom tablet.

Everything works fine if I use an external monitor, but becomes supper laggy if I use the retina screen on the actual laptop, due to the significantly higher resolution. My MBPr only has Intel Iris and I guess it just can't render stuff fast enough on such a high-res display.

Is there a way to reduce the resolution of a retina display? Not scaling, but actually reducing the number of effective pixels...

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No

That panel is that panel basically, everything that it does is scaled. You could set it to full resolution but icons and text may be far to small to see properly, however it wouldn't have the scaling lag.

3. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

i don't think you understood what i meant :) i want to reduce the resolution, so that it wouldn't scale. The display is 2880x1800, and i'd like to set it to 1440x900, if that would be possible. That way, it would only have to render one quarter of the pixels, and would possibly be faster...NOT scaling!

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

5. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

OS scales the user interface and icons etc., but images are always rendered at the full-res of the screen, and are thus not scaled. I tried all the scaling options, but the problem remains

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No idea how to help then

I'm sorry I can't help then you can't change the number of pixels on the screen so they have to be dealt with.

You could try a third party scaling app and see if that helps!!!

such as

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8355/switchresx

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

+1. I sometimes use SetResX in order to turn off HiDPI and use the "native" (i.e. non-retina) resolutions offered by the graphics card. This instantly kills any lag, but the tradeoff is that your fonts will be slightly jaggy (just like on a classic MBP). You can use any resolution you want (there are many options) up to 2880x1800.

This is explained in this article:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/18/3-ways-to-run-a-retina-macbook-pro-at-2880x1800-native-resolution/

8. DiegoFrancisco macrumors member