Reducing the size of a Boot Camp partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JayS90, Jan 2, 2011.

1. JayS90 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've checked out this link and I'm downloading GParted Live in the hope that it will allow me to reduce the size of my current 32GB Boot Camp partition that has Windows 7 installed on it.

I'm shrinking the partition because I never use Windows, I just have it installed in case I need it at some point. And I got a free copy from my University, so why not? :D

I just have a few questions before I dive in to this;

1. Will GParted be able to shrink my partition to a size of about 8GB or 16GB?
    2. Will it corrupt any of the Windows 7 OS in the process?
    3. Will it corrupt any of the OS X, or my data stored on my OS X drive?
    4. Will I be able to run GParted from a USB drive?
    5. What is the (or your personal) recommended minimum size of a partition drive?
    Thanks, Jay. :)

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Be careful and make sure you have everything backed up. On the fly partitioners can cause havoc with your system as I found out using CampTune and corrupting both partitions. If you have a Time Machine backup then erasing the whole hard disc and reinstalling may actually be less problematic.

3. JayS90 thread starter macrumors member

I know I should backup all data, but I still have yet to purchase an external HDD. Maybe it's best I wait until I do, so I'm able to protect all my documents. I would just erase the Boot Camp partition using Disk Utility and then reinstall Windows, but the prospect of spending another 2 hours or so putting an OS I'm not even that fond of on my HDD is truly quite saddening XD it's just a shame you can't use Disk Utility to easily resize NTFS formatted partitions >.<

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I also recommend waiting until you can back things up. Even if you are just using Disk Utility to erase your Windows partition and resize your OS X partition stuff can go wrong.

If nothing else, consider upgrading your internal HDD and using the original drive as backup.

Also, 32 GB is already pretty small as far as W7 partitions go, You may not be able to go much lower. How much RAM and how large an HDD do you have in your Mac? How much free space is on your Windows partition? (W7 system requirements are 16 GB for 32 bit and 20 GB for 64 bit, don't go lower than that).

B

5. JayS90 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice.

I have 4GB of RAM and my HDD is 320GB. There's 17GB available on the Boot Camp partition, which is the main reason I'd like to reduce it. I could really do with that space on my OS X partition. I hardly ever use Windows and I certainly do not store any files on that partition. If anything I'd reduce it to around 20-22 GB, just the minimum to be able to run it if I ever needed to.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I'd seriously consider upgrading to a 500 GB internal drive. For ~US$60 it's a great way not to have to worry about 32 GB of space.

B