Reducing the size of Voice Memo files

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by zoran, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zoran macrumors 68030

I have many voice memo files in my iPhone. Their overall file size is getting pretty big and im wondering if there is a way to make them smaller as files.

2. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I wonder if they could they be exported, transformed to mp3 and put back in the iPhone's VoiceMemo folder.
    And even if this sounds like science fiction, i ask... could they at least be moved to a folder on my iMac so i can free space in my iPhone?

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Can i at least move them out from my phone to save space?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You can copy them (upload) to Dropbox or Google Drive via share share symbol3.png if you have one of those apps installed and the appropriate corresponding account.

Once you've got them copied, double check your work, then delete from the Voice Memos app.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Can i reduce their size, perhaps turn them into mp3s and then place them back in the iPhone again?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

They're already 64kbps AAC mono files! Very small and minimal quality. An mp3 conversion of equal sound quality would be twice as large because it would convert the mono to two stereo channels.

If you follow my suggestion, with Google Drive for instance, they would be accessible and playable in the Drive app as long as you have an internet connection, wifi or cellular.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there some other way to copy them using a cable perhaps? Like transferring a file?

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Your requirements are confusing. Do you want access to the files on your iPhone? Yes, you can get them to your computer via syncing but once you've deleted the copies on your iPhone you won't be able to hear them unless it's via a cloud service.

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Why won't i be able to hear them? You mean i wont be able to do so through iPhone, through the VoiceMemos app?

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I don't think I'm helping you. It might be best if you disregard my suggestions. Hopefully, someone else can help.

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I dont feel that you are not helping me. I just need a few fine tuning answers... thats all. ;-)