Reducing transcoding loss.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Flynnstone, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Hi
    I want to preserve a DVD video without transcoding.

He's the deal :
    My Dad died recently and we had a company make a DVD as part of the celebration of his life.
    We want to add more pictures. It was a rush to get the pictures.

So what I want to do is make another DVD with 2 videos or selections. One is the "original" and one is the new one I will create.

How do I do this?

P.S. I am planning on using Fotomagico to create my version. Any comments?

Also my Dad has a "gazillion" slides (not quite, but pretty close). Actually more like about 10,000 as a guess.
    What is the best? or reasonable way to preserve and digitize them?
    I was thinking about renting something. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I would certainly not use the old DVD as the starting point for the new updated one. I would also presume that your father's impact on you and your family was greater than can be shown in a single DVD. Whatever its faults, that first DVD was made out of love at the time. You cannot recapture that time and place. Don't throw it away. Don't compromise the new DVD. Use the additional material to create an all new DVD.

3. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

No, I'm not getting rid of the original. I want to expand.
    The original has a top menu with one "hidden" item for the main title.
    I want to recreate essentially the same DVD, but include the original as one title and another as the one I create.

I know how to create a DVD using iDVD and DV material. iDVD then transcodes this to MPEG-2 for a DVD. I have the original material in MPEG-2 format , off the DVD.
    How do I put this into iDVD?

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Use MPEG Streamclip to grab the original MPEG-2 files from the video_ts folder on the first DVD. Make your video. Then use Toast to burn a Video DVD. Check the box that disallows re-encoding for the first video. (This isn't possible with iDVD.)

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

How to do this depends on your level of technical sophistication. There is a simple and easy way and a not so simple but much better way. As you learn you will progress.

The simplest way is to copy the files off the DVD and don't transcode them, they are already in the format you need for DVD. But then there mst be some source material that was used to make the DVD. Get a hold of that and start from there.

THen yo say you have photos. Those can be made into HD or BluRay quality and shown on a modern HD TV set or on a computer monitor. In later years people will become used to HD quality to get that you will need to go back to the source material.

To get better advice you have to tell us what you have to work with, and what you are willing to learn to do and if there is a budget.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

7. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

8. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Throw it at me. I have Toast 6. I typically use iDVD. I use iMovie'08 and older and FCE.

I presently have about 2/3 of the source. They were in digital format already. The pictures I need to scan, but my Mom is in Canada using a Windows ME computer with the hard drive almost full :eek: I'm trying to get her to get an iMac.
    Absolutely. She has a BluRay player (Sony).
    Can I a make HD version in h.264 in a file and burn it to a DVD data disk and have it play in a BluRay player? The present DVD is only 12 minutes long. I want to make a HD version of this. From source not from original DVD.
    If not what flow can I use?
    I have pictures. Old hard copies and digital pictures.
    I am planning on using Fotomagico.
    I was planning on renting or purchasing a slide scanner.

So ...
    I want to create a DVD with 2 "movies". 1 the new one I create and 2 the original movie. I don't how to integrate the original without double transcoding. MPEG-2 to DV, DV to MPEG-2 (iDVD).