Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Hi guys

considering switching from PC to Mac.
opinions on how much weight I can save on this please

MBP 13" 2.5G.

Removing optical drive
replacing 500G HDD with a 256G SSD

How much weight do you think that would save?
Original version weighs 2.06kg

I thought about Air 13" 1.8G 256G SDD, price is very similar but non upgradable, weight 1.35kg

anyone done this? This laptop would be for travelling/business trips
thanks guys

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Removing optical drive
replacing 500G HDD with a 256G SSD

How much weight do you think that would save?
The HDD/SSD may weigh slightly more or less, but the weight difference would be negligible.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
removing the optical drive would reduce a significant amount of weight since it would allow the macbook to be thinner

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
removing the optical drive would reduce a significant amount of weight since it would allow the macbook to be thinner
That's not true. Removing the optical drive will not make the notebook thinner. It will be the same dimensions.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Will be interesting to see how much thinner the 13 mbp will be in the next iteration, assuming they pull a retina refresh on it

The difference between the 15cmbp and the 15 rmbp should give you an idea of the difference

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Well sure, if you took a hammer to the case afterwards, but just like removing a battery from any product, it won't make the device thinner. Additionally, any weight "loss" you're going to get by removing hardware from your MBP is going to be measured in grams and possibly ounces.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Someone's been watching too many cartoons. The MacBook wouldn't deflate because an internal component was removed. That only happens to large decorative cakes when a bunny sucks out the filling with a bike pump.

BTW. Just put SSD ($89 128GB Crucial M4 at Amazon) and replaced optical with the old HDD in my 2011 MBP. It's not any lighter but the SSD definitely made the machine faster. Thinner definitely is better but it really shouldnt come at the cost of removing the ability to upgrade because for $100 I just made my "fat" MBP faster than my $1500 2012 Air (which I probably will return)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Well sure, if you took a hammer to the case afterwards, but just like removing a battery from any product, it won't make the device thinner. Additionally, any weight "loss" you're going to get by removing hardware from your MBP is going to be measured in grams and possibly ounces.
They derive some of the weight savings there on the Air. Little things add up, but they added up as many as possible to get the MBA to its current weight. It's 4.5 pounds vs 2.96 pounds for the 13" vs "13 comparison. Typical 2.5" HDDs are around 4 ounces. Optical drives are probably 3-4. On its own you won't notice a huge difference. A 2.5" ssd also won't make much of a difference. They combined as much as possible to get the total weight reduction.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Someone's been watching too many cartoons. The MacBook wouldn't deflate because an internal component was removed. That only happens to large decorative cakes when a bunny sucks out the filling with a bike pump.

BTW. Just put SSD ($89 128GB Crucial M4 at Amazon) and replaced optical with the old HDD in my 2011 MBP. It's not any lighter but the SSD definitely made the machine faster. Thinner definitely is better but it really shouldnt come at the cost of removing the ability to upgrade because for $100 I just made my "fat" MBP faster than my $1500 2012 Air (which I probably will return)
I thought the poster was talking about the apple engineering perspective. Like, "Say apple did this..." How did you replace your Super drive with another HD?

----------

That's not true. Removing the optical drive will not make the notebook thinner. It will be the same dimensions.
I believe I mis-read