Reeder for Mac Released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srl7741, Jun 9, 2011.

1. srl7741, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I had been using the beta Reeder RSS App and just noticed today the App has finally been released in the Mac App Store. I am glad it's out in case you like the App and did not know. It's a little pricey tho @ $9.99

App Store Link

2. barduck macrumors newbie

I love Reeder on the iPhone. But what's the advantage Reeder on the Mac offers over using Google Reader inside a browser?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've been using the Reeder beta the last week or so, exactly to find out if I could find any real advantages...and I can't say I have. So, paying $10 for something that doesn't offer any advantages over the free option, is a bit of a stretch...

Also, when Reeder, with an article with two or three flash ads, suddenly took all available CPU and made my work iMac bog down completely I discarded it completely.

Now, with a built in flash blocker and a but more sober price point I'm willing to reconsider.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Gonna stick with Gruml. I see no reason to pay 10$ for pretty much nothing. In fact, I prefer Gruml's UI, it's simpler.

5. srl7741 thread starter macrumors 68020

srl7741

I had not looked at that one yet, I'm going to take a peek at it and see how it works.

6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Reeder is just using WebViews. Install ClickToFlash and it'll prevent Flash from loading. Or, run Reeder using the minimized layout which only shows the snippet article view, and if you want to read the entire article, your default web browser will open up.

Lastly, the reason you buy any Mac/iOS app is for both presentation AND functionality. Google Reader in a web page and not much more, but for some people, that's good enough.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I do have Click to Flash installed, works like a charm in Safari but not Reeder. :confused:

If so, it's actually easier to just have Google Reeder in a tab in Safari, IMO.

I'm all for buying applications, but they have to offer me better presentation OR functionality than the free (or non-app) version, and I don't see that Reeder does that, at this point.

8. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Have been using the betas since May and I love it. The gestures are a killer feature.

9. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Can you edit/modify/add subscriptions from Reeder for Mac?

10. srl7741 thread starter macrumors 68020

srl7741

Yes, there is a Manage Subscriptions option. It's nice and less confusing.