Reemergence of Battery Time Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clausewitz, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Clausewitz macrumors newbie

Hi all;

I have new rMBP 13" 2015. Some time ago I complained that my rMBP does not show more than 6 hours of battery time remaining & battery was draining at the rate by which the charge would last around 4 to 5 hours only. Good people here suggested that I reduce my brightness to 60 to 70% (I was using 100% previously). Indeed this helped significantly, & gave me longer battery time of around 12+ hours.

However, as of few days back even with brightness reduced to 60% & backlit reduced to 1 or 2 bars my rMBP battery status bar says I have 8+ hours at the best, & the battery drains at a rate by which it could only provide 4 to 5 hours at the best.

I have reset the PRAM & SMC to no avail. Battery condition says its NORMAL. I upgraded to 10.10.4 yesterday to see if it would help, but it didn't.

Realistically I know the MBPs batteries last only 4 to 5 hours regardless of what the machine is telling you, but its still good & satisfying knowing that you can extract more time of it.

So any suggestions & fixes?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try;
    • System Preferences - Accessibility - reduce transparency
    • System Preferences - Dock - deselect "Animate Opening Applications"
    • System Preferences - Dock - Minimise Windows using "Scale Efect"
    • System Preferences - Dock - deselect "Magnification"
    • Chrome users, switch to Chrome Canary as is far more optimised for OS X
    • Close applications, when not in use, you can deselect "Close windows when quitting an app" in System Preferences - General to bring them back to the same state when opened
    • Those that require AV, use ClamXav (now a paid app) and set up sentry & scanning intelligently
    • Open PDF`s in Quick View or install Skim, the PDF rendering engine in OS X Preview is broken and burns a lot of CPU cycles as result, hence why some complain of "choppy" scrolling
    • Skip Flash period
    • UBlock prevents unwanted AD`s from loading, reducing the load
    • VLC use Movist or MPV (open source) 30% of global CPU versus 7%
    • Display 50%-60%
    • Apply 10.10.4
    2014 13" 2.8GHz I can squeeze 10 hours out of the battery. If anyone knows more, add then on...

Q-6

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The time remaining and percentage indicator are poor estimates at best. Turn them off and just use your computer. Charge it when you can and run it off the battery when you need to.

The amount of time you can run from the battery is HEAVILY dependent on what you're doing.