Reencode needed?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by marc11, Jan 25, 2012.

1. marc11 macrumors 68000

I have a bunch of DVDs that I legally own and encoded with Handbrake using the ATV2 setting to play on my ATV2.

I just came across and ATV 1st gen that I would like to play these movies on. I am guessing due to the frame rate differences I have to reencode these for the ATV1 yes?

If so, do I need to start with the original source or can I use the ATV2 encodes as the source to convert using Handbrakes Apple TV setting?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

For highest quality you should go from the original DVDs. But, if you aren't too picky, I'd just go from the rips you've already got. Do a couple a see how they look. If you need better, grab the DVDs.

3. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks I'll give it a shot. Since I plan to use the old ATV on an sdtv I am hoping I will not notice any quality loss. I have over 200 movies ripped it would bite it to have to load them and HB scan them all one by one again.

4. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I have my ATV and installed XBMC on it along with the Safire media player. The Safire player would only play the audio of the movies encoded as ATV2 but XBMC plays the audio and video perfectly even though the files have a frame rate set for the ATV2.

I wonder why or how?

5. AdrianK, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Relevant quote from Dynaflash:

It's not a framerate issue, if you're encoding from a DVD your content will be 720*576 max (which is <540p@16:9) and HB should ivtc it to either 24 or 25 FPS.

I believe the incompatibility is from the more complex features of the ATV 2 preset (eg CABAC, more ref frames).

6. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow great information appreciate it. This saves me a butt load of time; encoding several hundred DVDs a second time would have blown. Thanks.