Reencode needed?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I have a bunch of DVDs that I legally own and encoded with Handbrake using the ATV2 setting to play on my ATV2.

I just came across and ATV 1st gen that I would like to play these movies on. I am guessing due to the frame rate differences I have to reencode these for the ATV1 yes?

If so, do I need to start with the original source or can I use the ATV2 encodes as the source to convert using Handbrakes Apple TV setting?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
For highest quality you should go from the original DVDs. But, if you aren't too picky, I'd just go from the rips you've already got. Do a couple a see how they look. If you need better, grab the DVDs.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Thanks I'll give it a shot. Since I plan to use the old ATV on an sdtv I am hoping I will not notice any quality loss. I have over 200 movies ripped it would bite it to have to load them and HB scan them all one by one again.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
So I have my ATV and installed XBMC on it along with the Safire media player. The Safire player would only play the audio of the movies encoded as ATV2 but XBMC plays the audio and video perfectly even though the files have a frame rate set for the ATV2.

I wonder why or how?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
So I have my ATV and installed XBMC on it along with the Safire media player. The Safire player would only play the audio of the movies encoded as ATV2 but XBMC plays the audio and video perfectly even though the files have a frame rate set for the ATV2.

I wonder why or how?
Relevant quote from Dynaflash:

atv 1 can play 30 fps but not at 720p, it can at 540p. The atv2 can play back 720 at 30fps.

as well the atv2 can play back a slightly higher profile.

If you have both, encode for the atv 1 (least common denominator). On any 24 fps content it will look just as good as the atv 2 version and play on both.

atv2 preset does *not* change the framerate to 30. both atv1 and atv2 preset use the source framerate. However the atv1 preset nerfs down the resolution to <= 540p since the atv1 cannot playback 720p 30 fps content (see above). Well physically it can but iTunes won't allow it.
It's not a framerate issue, if you're encoding from a DVD your content will be 720*576 max (which is <540p@16:9) and HB should ivtc it to either 24 or 25 FPS.

I believe the incompatibility is from the more complex features of the ATV 2 preset (eg CABAC, more ref frames).

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Wow great information appreciate it. This saves me a butt load of time; encoding several hundred DVDs a second time would have blown. Thanks.