Reengineering a swf to actionscripts and back.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ombrenelcielo, May 10, 2011.

1. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

Hi,
    I am writing here to ask an advice for a huge problem I am facing now :S

I was asked to look into a swf to fix a bug in one of the .as inside it.
    Since the company that worked on those flash files is no longer existing I need to reengineer the swf and edit the .as from there.

I've successfully used flash decompiler for Mac to look into the packets and I've already found the error inside one of the .as.
    Now I need to edit that snippet of code and save it: here is the problem, if I decompile/edit/recompile I get a bunch of error like #1006 while I attempt to run the swf, I really don't know the logic behind and I can't contact the guys behind this piece of code.

I wanted to ask you if it's possible to edit the snippet inside a swf decompiler and save it without exporting it and recompiling...

I am running flash builder 4 on Mac system.

;) thanks.

2. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

No, you'll need to recompile it to get it back to a swf. No versions of the .fla files exist? Not even in backups or old machines? Ouch :-/

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

A #1006 error in Flash AS3 occurs when a value called has no function.

As far as I know they only way edit these files is going to be to decompile them and put them back together in Flash. However, when you decompile Flash files you tend to get a lot of garbage code come back out and variables get assigned odd sequential names such as _loc2. Chances are that that's going to make putting it all back together a bit of a chore for you as well.

If it's a simple file is it not easier to have someone remake it rather than spend time puzzling it all together again?

4. ombrenelcielo thread starter macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

Yes, I know that a new version would be the solution but we have something like 50 actionscripts packaged inside that swf and it would need a huge amount of work a total rewriting of the code...

The only files I managed to find as backup are a bunch of folders of .as with a .as3proj. I know that .as3proj is a Flash Develop project file but I can't get that program running fine on Parallels.
    Do you know if I can import as3proj to Adobe Flash Builder anyhow?

Thanks for the answers ;)

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

6. ombrenelcielo thread starter macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

Thank you very much for these advices,
    I got flex sdk and opened the project edited and exported.
    We are happy now that we are able to work from the sources we can make easily new versions of that flash.

Thanks for the helpful and fast responses !!!