Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An updated 12-inch Retina MacBook may be launching before the end of April, according to information discovered in Apple's System Image Utility feature and in the OS X Server application by a source that shared details with 9to5Mac.

System Image Utility lists the existing early 2015 Retina MacBook and an early 2016 Retina MacBook, which has yet to be released. Given that it's earmarked as an "early" 2016 device, the next-generation Retina MacBook should be coming soon, as Apple refers to "early" for devices that launch during the first four months of the year. The same 12-inch early 2016 MacBook is listed the OS X Server application.

early_2016_macbook.jpg

The Retina MacBook first launched in April of 2015, so an April 2016 update at the one year mark makes sense. A refresh will likely be minor, leaving the overall design unchanged but introducing upgraded internals, such as one of Intel's Skylake chips.

Skylake chips appropriate for the Retina MacBook have been available since the later months of 2015. The new Core M Skylake processors offer 10 hours of battery life and 10 to 20 percent faster CPU performance compared to the Core M Broadwell processors used in the first-generation Retina MacBook, along with 40 percent faster graphics performance.

There are no mentions of new Retina MacBook Pro or MacBook Air models in OS X Server or System Image Utility, and it continues to remain unclear when exactly we might see refreshes for those machines.

A rumor yesterday suggested Apple is working on "ultra-thin" 13-inch and 15-inch MacBooks, but it is not known if those machines are in the MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air family. Apple is said to be targeting a June or July launch date for the mystery MacBooks, which lines up with a potential debut at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Update: Additional investigation of OS X 10.11.4 by Pike's Universum has led to details on the low-power Skylake processors Apple will likely use in the 2016 12-inch MacBooks, which are in line with expectations.

References to the Core m3-6Y30, Core m5-6Y54, and Core m7-6Y75 have been found.

The low-end Core m3-6Y30 succeeds the Core M-5Y31 and will likely be used in the entry-level 12-inch MacBook, which Apple sells for $1,299. The middle tier Core m5-6Y54 replaces the Core M-5Y51 and is likely to be used in the higher-end 12-inch MacBook Apple sells for $1,599, while the high-end Core m7-6Y75 replaces the Core M-5Y71, the chip used in high-end 12-inch MacBook custom configurations.

Article Link: References to 2016 12-Inch MacBook Spotted in OS X System Image Utility [Updated]

Reactions: appledefenceforce

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
It's unfortunate the MacBook won't be a viable product until at least Cannonlake or its 2018 successor.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
The current MacBook speeds have been compared to a 2011 MacBook Air. Anyone know what Skylake for MacBook could be compared to in terms of older MacBooks?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What's interesting is that it says Early 2016. Products released at WWDC are usually referred to as "Mid".

I guess either Apple originally planned to release it at the March event but cancelled last minute, or we're going to see a silent refresh by the end of April.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I'm surprised Apple has not updated the Macbook Retina's yet. I get that for what they are used for, the older chips are likely fine, but more power and better graphic performance, without any negative cost to battery life, seems like a no-brainer update. It's definitely something I'll consider for my travel laptop, instead of the iPad Pro 12.9" I had been considering. Most of what I do is keyboard based, so the laptop form factor makes more sense and I already have an iPad Air for times when I want / need something even more portable.

Reactions: atikalz

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Cool good news.

I wish Apple would simplify there line up.

Rebrand the Current Macbook as Macbook Air and kill the current Macbook Airs, release a 14" macbook with less bezel so it remains the roughly the size of the 13" Pro. Same thing for the Macbook Pro. Make it only a 16" model in the footprint of the 15" of today.

Macbook Air 12" (Fanless, entry level)
Macbook 14" (Thinner but not as thin as current macbook with roughly the same footprint as the current 13" Pro)
Macbook Pro 16" (Same footprint but a little thinner then the current 15" Pro. Two models. One with high end intergrated graphcis and another with dedicated.)

I would buy that 14" in a heartbeat.

I fear Apple is going back to the 90's era with to many product lines and devices. It should really be simplified.

Macbook Air
Macbook
Macbook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

iPad Mini
iPad (Drop the Air moniker or give it to the mini)
iPad Pro

iPhone Mini/Air/SE
iPhone
iPhone Pro/Plus

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
What's interesting is that it says Early 2016. Products released at WWDC are usually referred to as "Mid".

I guess either Apple originally planned to release it at the March event but cancelled last minute, or we're going to see a silent refresh by the end of April.
What if it's already been silently refreshed, and we just don't know it.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Waiting for a new MBP. This 2007 model has served me exceptionally well, but now's the time to retire it.

Need either a 13" or 15" (see what they offer) and space grey if possible. (I know, sad!)

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
I fear Apple is going back to the 90's era with to many product lines and devices. It should really be simplified.

Macbook Air
Macbook
Macbook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

iPad Mini
iPad (Drop the Air moniker or give it to the mini)
iPad Pro

iPhone Mini/Air/SE
iPhone
iPhone Pro/Plus
That's pretty much what it is/will end up as. Confusion in the iPhone and iPad lines stems from an overlap in features/generation. Once the Air 2 is phased out, it'll probably end up as iPad mini, iPad, iPad+ (or Pro). Phones will probably do something similar, but the mini release might be staggered about half a year regardless, just to help with chip production. MacBooks will probably end up settling into two families.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.