REFInd on OS X 10.10

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qul95, Nov 19, 2014.

1. qul95 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I have a question and I hope u will be able to help me.
    MBP 2012 13" Mac OS X 10.10
    So I got an HDD and sata to usb connector and i wanted to put Linux Ubuntu on my external HD. But as i have read there is a problem with rEFInd and Mac OS X 10.10. I have tried several solutions but none of them work or is it just me, beeing dumb. Whatever i have tried, refind doen't want to show up. Is there a solution comming soon? A fix for refind to work with 10.10 or is there another software like rEFInd to help me install and boot into linux?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for my english or if i did something wrong.... my first post! Have a nice day people!

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I have rEFInd and it works with booting into 10.10. To install it, what I did was I opened the install.sh with terminal so it executes. You can also change the extension to .command and launch it. I did this on my Leopard partition, however, so I am not sure if installing from Yosemite works or not.

Also, when you install Ubuntu, it will install its own bootloader, so you may have to reinstall rEFInd after you install Ubuntu. If Yosemite will not let you install rEFInd, you can install rEFInd in Ubuntu after that is installed.

3. qul95 thread starter macrumors newbie

So... I can install Linux and on the same HDD refind and when i connect my HDD via USB i just hold the options button on startup and boot into refind?

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

No, rEFInd will always appear when you boot normally (press power button). if you hold option key then you will load the original boot selector which would do the same thing as rEFInd. Setting the startup disk (in Sys. Prefs. or Recovery utility) will destroy rEFInd and put back the original one.

5. qul95 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if my external hdd is connected to my MBP refind will apear, if not it will normaly boot into Mac os x? Sorry for not understanding but i'm really doing it for the first time!

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

No, rEFInd is installed in your EFI partition on your internal hard drive. If you want to boot from external disk, just plug it in and press power button, and select the disk.

7. qul95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so i installed it, reboted it 6 times and refind won't show up...
    What now?

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Then you didn't install it correctly...

Change the extension in install.sh to .command and launch it. If you have already done it this way then I don't know.

9. qul95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did... And i doen't work! Ok! Tha a lot for your time and for all the help! I appreciate it big time!