rEFInd problems on Early 2009 A1181

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by v!talix, Nov 26, 2015.

1. v!talix macrumors newbie

v!talix

Hi guys,
    I'm having a huge problem with rEFInd caused by me doing stupid things...
    I have Early 2009 MacBook A1181 without SuperDrive. With El Capitan installed I decided to get Linux working on that machine, so by following some instruction online I downloaded rEFInd and installed it. It didn't work well and I decided to reinstall it. I mounted EFI drive, found rEFInd folder and deleted its content (how stupid, hey), then I launched the installation of refind in terminal again. Although some warning massage appeared, after reboot the rEFInd interface appeared and it worked but there were some strange pictures insead of boot drives icons.
    I started OS and everything worked fine until I rebooted. After restart, grey screen appeared and nothing was happening (even no apple icon). I've tried cmd+R, opt+cmd+shift+power - nothing hepled. On my other laptop with ubuntu i've created bootable 16Gb USB drive from ISO image with OSX 10.6 and tried to boot from it by holding cmd+opt+shift+return, but it doesn't boot. I also held opt key and C - no result.
    Is there some other way to get it work or at least load USB Terminal Utility? As I don't have CD drive it seems I'm running out of options. Please help someone.

2. v!talix thread starter macrumors newbie

v!talix

OK, this morning I performed a little test. To exclude motherboard issues and make sure the USB is really bootable I took out the hard drive and tryed to boot directly from USB and it worked. It must be broken rEFInd that doesn't allow anything to boot or to access the hard drive. The question is what do I do next?