rEFIT + Partitioning

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by d4m1r, Mar 15, 2013.

1. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

Hey guys, need some advice from some of you OS X experts....Basically, I want to run a triple boot setup (OS X, Windows 7, and linux). To do so, I know I need to partition my HDD and that is my 1st question. I currently only have 1 partition and OS X is installed on it, what built in app can I use to divide up my 1 internal HDD into 3 parts?

So, after getting my partitions up, should I install rEFIT or Windows 7 first via Bootcamp Assistant? Basically, I am going to guess the path will look something like the below but I don't know how rEFIT fits in given Windows 7 usually installs its own boot manager (MBR) and so does linux (GRUB)....

OSX->partition disk in 3 pieces->install rEFIT->install windows 7->install linux

And then at boot, rEFIT would display everytime and I could pick into which OS to go into, correct? Thanks in advance guys!

2. d4m1r thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

400+ views and nobody that currently has a triple boot setup is willing to share info? :confused:

3. d4m1r thread starter macrumors regular

d4m1r

For anyone else interested, I was successfully able to triple boot my 2012 13" MBP with OS X 10.8.3, Windows 7 x64, and Ubuntu 12.04.02 x64 using the below linked guides. It was fairly tricky and especially time consuming but it does work! Now with reFIT, I get a prompt and can boot into either three OS's :)

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/0...with-windows-and-linux-no-boot-camp-required/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1908210

Note: I installed both Windows 7 and Ubuntu via MBR and NOT EFI. Possibly might work under EFI as well but I haven't personally tried it. Went with MBR for simplicity but I don't know if installing them via MBR and not EFI has any benefits or downsides for that matter....