rEFIt Triple Booting Issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by darkfield, Apr 19, 2013.

1. darkfield macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have a mid 2012 MBP. (9.2, 13in, non-retina, mountain lion)

I had installed windows 7 using bootcamp with no issues.

With the intention of installing linux as a third OS, I had been following this tutorial:
    http://lifehacker.com/5531037/how-t...-with-windows-and-linux-no-boot-camp-required

I successfully installed rEFIt, which opens on boot, but now, while I can still boot OSX with no issues, I am unable to boot either windows or Ubuntu.

When trying to boot my windows operating system, I get the 'no bootable device' error, and when trying to boot ubuntu from a USB drive, the startup drops into an Busybox/Initramfs shell.

My priority is getting windows booting again.

I apologise if this has been covered in an existing thread, I did look!

Thanks in advance,

James

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Try rEFInd (BootManager).

The rEFInd Boot Manager

Edit: to disable rEFIt just rename the folder, install this one and see if this works.

3. darkfield, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013

darkfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the reply!

This is probably a stupid question, but what folder should I rename to disable rEFIt?

Is this all that needs to be done to remove rEFIt?

EDIT:

I worked out what folder to delete, I have installed rEFInd, now linux boots fine but when trying to boot windows i get the error 'missing operating system'

curious.

4. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

5. darkfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks D4mir, useful reference!

In the end I managed to make it work by using gparted to delete my win/linux partitions, using diskutil to recover that space for osx and then repartitioning from scratch. Had no problems second time around.

Thanks,
    James