Reflash iOS 7 possible? (same firmware)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BoredAtWork, Dec 21, 2014.

1. BoredAtWork macrumors newbie

Question for anyone who tried this.

I have an iPhone 5 currently on 7.1.1 version. It was updated long ago via OTA (over the air), and patched on the iOS as usual update.

because of current issues and large "other" folder in my phone, I want to wipe it completely. Thats easy and done, but I also want to reflash 7.1.1 onto the phone completely from a complete ipsw file (using DFU mode, then ctrl + shift in iTunes ). Is it possible to do this now since iOS7 can no longer be signed?

phone has never been jailbroken.

thanks

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It is not possible. You either stay on iOS 7.1.1 as it is, or update to 8.1.2.

3. biohead macrumors 6502

Closest thing would be to do a Reset All from the settings on the device.

4. d4m1r macrumors regular

d4m1r

I think *in theory* it should be possible BUT....The problem is no tool was ever relased to stitch .shsh blobs to iOS 7.x .ipsw files.

For example, I am running iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone but I could go back to 5.1.1 anytime I want because when Apple was still signing iOS 5.1.1, I made a .shsh blob file and stitched it to the 5.1.1 ipsw file using iFaith. But the last version released of iFaith only supports stitching ipsw files up to iOS 5.1.1 (because that was the newest iOS when it was released).

Even if you have .shsh blobs for your device for iOS 6, 7, etc, there is now no way to make custom (signed) ipsw files :confused: