Reflection by Craig R. Smith

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 1, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Interesting read

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Jay Leno's a nice guy. He also has awesome cars.

That's all I have to say.

3. maeman macrumors newbie

4. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

This country is an amazing place, no doubt about that, but only in comparison to (many) other countries. Just because we have good things doesn't mean we are beyond criticism.

Bush did some good things, but he also did a lot of bad and corrupt things and he should be held responsible for those and set to a higher standard than any other person on the planet because he was the president of america.

While we shouldn't take what we have for granted, we also should not be content. We should always be criticizing our leaders and our laws and pushing ourselves to be better.

5. johnnyhow macrumors regular

That's a great article and really makes you think. Some of the happiest people are those that live in poverty stricken countries. I think us western countries in general could take a lot from that article.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That article was better than most of his jokes. :D

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you had bothered to read the Snopes article that maeman quoted earlier in the thread you'd know that Craig R. Smith wrote the article, not Jay Leno.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol, yep i didn't bother. The article is still better than Leno' jokes. You have a problem with that too?

9. 184550 Guest

So because we live in a prosperous country we aren't allowed to complain about our social, political or cultural qualms? That makes a lot of sense. You can't complain because things aren't that bad, yet.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought it was the other way round. People hate the US but love the people.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The poll was interested in directions not absolutes. Most wealthy nations on Earth would probably poll with similar results.

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I think the trick is not to be unhappy all the time. Note that I said, "be unhappy", (per the original article) and not, "complain".

Maybe take a day off to be thankful for what we've got... and then get right back to constructive criticism the next. Dissatisfaction, and then fixing it, improves everyones lot.

13. 184550 Guest

Complain (verb)- express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness. :rolleyes:

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a load of tripe. Sounds like something FOX News would write. :rolleyes:

15. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

How is it tripe?

The message I got is to take a step back and be grateful for what we have, regardless of ones political affiliations

People are too quick to focus on the negatives and never count their blessings

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Maybe you should change the title of the thread to correctly reflect the real author.

I don't think Leno would appreciate that he is being given credit for writing it, whether he believes it or not.

EDIT: Much better. Probably should change the beginning of the quote as well, no? LOL. Never mind, already done. :cool:

It seems that Smith wrote the original in 2006, and it has been altered by people who have forwarded it along via email to the form we see it in today.

17. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I agree with you Duke. It's a good message about being grateful for what you have and focusing on the positive as opposed to the negative. There is nothing wrong with critical thinking, cost benefit analysis, and weighing pros vs. cons, but don't fall into living life with a "glass is half empty" attitude or worse yet a "nothing is ever good enough" mentality.