Reflection for Pictures?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tallguy, Jul 15, 2008.

1. tallguy macrumors regular

Is it just me or does every company now use reflection at the bottom of advertisements and photos? I first noticed it with apple which was fine but now it seems over used and I think it will get old fast. Microsoft is even using it in their new xbox dashboard.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Otherwise known as:

[​IMG]

Can't stand them personally just because of overkill. In ten or fifteen years time, they'll be used to design retro-graphics that look soooo 2007.

3. mikelcroft macrumors regular

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

"The 10 Commandments of Web Design"

…

4. Thou shalt not overuse glassy reflections.

Apple (AAPL) often sets the standard for slick and cool—in all forms of design. But some experts say the company's habit of creating glassy reflections under photos of its products has been far too commonly copied, turning the style element into a cliché.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovat..._special+report+--+web+design+2008_web+design

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But it's a cliche because of other people copying them, not because Apple's usage of it was a bad idea. I do like it, but they'll have to stop using it soon. I don't mind it, but apparently, many of you think it's overdone.

6. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

I don't really care if it's there or not. But, there are too many ads using them.