Reflowing Powermac G5 RAM Banks?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kbfr08, Jun 24, 2013.

1. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

I have a G5 dual 1.8 with cracked solder joints on the ram banks, from what I've read it's a somewhat common issue with this computer. It's just sitting collecting dust and I'd like to get it back up and running again just for the hell of it

Anyway, has anyone ever reflowed the banks, and how hard is it, basically... would I be better off just buying a working board?

2. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Let me understand, if I got you right. There are Ram-Banks that have broken solder joints - you do not mean that there are 4 RAM Banks and where the others "should" be, there are just solder points in a row? The latter was sold as this. The Dual 1,8GHz can be had with 8 and 4 RAM Banks.

3. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I don't know how much costs a working board, but here reflowing boards (depending on the professionalism) costs from 20 to 90eur.
    If it is dead you can grab an heat gun, isolate the other area and try for your self (look in the youtube for reflow graphic card videos).
    You can always try to "re-ball" (in the case of ram maybe it isn't rebballing but re-soldering) service, but that may cost more

4. kbfr08 thread starter macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Yeah I think you got it, I know there are only 4 slots in this computer, the computer will error on boot with either no ram detected, or invalid ram error beeps, I traced it back to some broken joints on the ram slots so they need to be reflowed.

I'm going to try and tackle the problem myself, the board is so large I don't think that a reflow is going to be a good option due to warping. That is unless I can preheat the board. I'll try using a normal soldering iron, if that doesn't work a new board is only $30, so no big deal.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

My DP 1.8GHz G5 just died from the same problem. I 'reflowed it' (heat gun) months back and it worked great for around 6 months before it finally gave up. Tried the heat gun again and it didn't work. I ended up parting out the G5 on eBay and made a pretty good amount of cash, more than I would selling it as is.

6. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

If it isn't working now you've got nothing to loose by trying to fix it. Just take a heat gun to it.

Or do each individually with some solder and an iron.

7. kbfr08 thread starter macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Yep, gonna try the soldering iron soon, looked like a pretty daunting task when I pulled the board out last month because of all the pins.

Typically a hot air gun reflow doesn't last unless its done properly, and let's face it, not many people have the equipment to do a proper reflow (i certainly don't).