Reformat a Windows Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jul 5, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

How do I reformat a HD that only runs on Windows. It is a Western Digital "My Book" that connects via Ethernet. I don't have the software for the HD anymore. Can this be done?

Thanks

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

You'll need to launch Disk Utility and erase the HD and then reformat it for Mac OS X (Journaled)

Attached Files:

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The HD doesn't show up in Disk Utility. Nor does the Network Section in System Preferences show anything connected to my Ethernet port.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Are there any other ports on the HD to connect it to the Mac with? I've never heard of an external connecting via Ethernet. Usually it's FireWire or USB 2.0

If FireWire and/or USB are present on the external HD try that and see what happens

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hopefully someone will have a solution but I think you are outta luck John. I know that drive and you're right it's indeed set up to run on a Windows machine.
    The Apple Time Capsule (being your best choice for network storage) doesn't even format through Apple's Disk Utility, it's erased, formatted and set up all through Apple's Airport Disk Utility which has special software for the Time Capsule since it connects via Ethernet like the MyBook.

For future purchases I would highly recommend buying external devices that are not just Mac OS or Windows specific because your chances are very slim you will be able to find drivers to convert them.
    You may have had a chance if the connection was done through USB or Firewire.

6. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

7. PLin macrumors 6502

You can't re-format that drive. It's intended to be used on the network only, and the Mac can only access it using SMB.