Reformat and reinstall

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RaceJunkie, Nov 1, 2008.

1. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

I am buying a new MB Pro and I want to give my daughter my MB. I would like to give it to her with clean install of OS 10.5, I would like to clean it off and then reinstall the OS.

What is the correct procedure to do this?

Thanks.

2. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

insert disc that came with mac .... restart and hold down "c" key(so mac boots from disc) then install os select "erase and install".....wait until it asks for disc 2 and install that one also...after it is up and running you will want to do a software update to get it current.

3. b1u3b0y Guest

If you want it completely wiped of everything u had on it previous and in pretty much brand new condition i would recommend zeroing out the hdd... all you need to do when you are about to reinstall the OS system is go to the disk utility option located in one of the drop down menus of the menu bar when u r at the installation screen. The click on the hdd drive and select erase all. Then go into the advanced settings and change it to zero out once, seven, or thirty five... I would recommend seven since it's not too lengthy. It will take about 10 hours for a complete reformat and then reinstall the operating system and it's like brand new!

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If you're just giving it to your daughter I don't think a security erase of your HD is necessary unless your daughter knows how to recover files and you had something on your hard drive that you really don't want her to see.

If you do want to securely erase your hard drive then "zero out" should be enough. Seven-pass erase is too much of unnecessary wasted time if you ask me. ^

Here are the steps again:
    -Insert the Leopard DVD, then restart your computer and hold the 'C' key during boot
    -Go into Disk Utility
    -Select the disk where OSX is installed
    -Click Security Options to securely erase the disk (this is optional)
    -Click Erase
    -Wait
    -Wait
    -Wait
    -Install Leopard

5. dckj95 macrumors member

put in the install/restore disks you got with the macbook.

when you on the mb, hold down the 'c' key. this will make the mb boot from the disk.

once you are on the disk, select erase and install and just follow through.

i wish you sucess. :D