Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Last night i was installing updates and half way through my MBP turned off! When i tried turning it back on.
It makes the start up sound and the apple sign comes up, but then the screen turns grey and it tells me to restart my computer. When I restart it all start over again.:confused:

I now know I need the start-up disks but I don't have the disks for my Macbook PRO i have my sisters normal Macbook start up disks ( she took the wrong box and she lives interstate ). I have tried with her CD's and it doesn't seem to work!

Can i erase and reinstall with my friends Macbook Pro CD? His is the latest version of MBP, whereas i have the older MBP
or do i need my original CD?

I need my MBP back!!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You need original install disks, others won't work. Call Apple and ask for replacements, they may cost you something (~20$) but it's much less than new MBP

samba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
so i cant use a friends install disks? what makes the difference? isnt it all the same?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
so i cant use a friends install disks? what makes the difference? isnt it all the same?

No, unless he/she has retail version of OS X. Install disks that comes with your Mac are computer specific, they include drivers etc, for specific Mac, not for all.

BTW, wrong forum. This is for Mac Pro and PowerMac nor for MBP

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
You can allways buy a retail version of Leopard. That will also help you. And think about backup to avoid this experience the next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.