Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEO2033

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I am trying to reformat my drive but I am currently at school and do not have any back up CD with me as far as I know. I am just wondering if it possible to start to reformat on Tiger, which would then require a reinstall or install of an OS I presume to which I would install Leopard since I figure I should upgrade anyway. Since I do want to upgrade anyway AND reformat, would I be able to kill two birds with one stone? Instead of Installing Leopard than reformatting my drive with Leopard and reinstalling Leopard? Any help would be appreciated.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
The Leopard installer can erase, reformat and install all in one session. Even though it is technically 3 steps, it is really easy and quick. WARNING: THIS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR HDD CLEAN OF ALL DATA AND INSTALL A COMPLETELY NEW, FRESH COPY OF THE OS ONTO THE HDD!!......

SO, if you have data on the HDD that you want to keep, you should use the "ARCHIVE & INSTALL" option instead. This will only update the OS itself and the related apple applications that come with the OS, but leave all of your documents, apps, preferences, etc intact.....

Running around without backups is NOT a good idea, and neither is upgrading your OS without them. Perhaps you should consider uploading your data to an online storage service, or invest in a moderate size thumb drive to carry with you for times like this........just a thought........ :p

LEO2033

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Thanks alot for clearing that up. I am aware that will erase all my files and am using my IPod as a HD to keep files that I want. Luckily everything I want to save is able to fit on there so it all works out. I plan to go get Leopard tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.