Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javimald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
CENTRAL FLORIDA
Trying to reformat my mac mini.... I'm a designer and haven't reformat for some time now.

I'M FAIRLY NEW TO MAC, so please bare with my dumbness... or clueness. LOL.

I GOT ORIGINAL DISC's

I NEED to reformat.... but i have no hard-wire keyboard. I know/heard/tried doing the "hold down C" and "option" but i'm assuming its not working because i have a wireless keyboard?

QUESTION: is there an alternative way in doing A HARD/COMPLETE/ERASE reformat when having a wireless keyboard. What options do i have?

I have also tried going over to Utility and erase section... but the options to select or rename and type... is "un-selectable"? Is this normal?

MY SYSTEM:
Mac Mini - 2.26 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 2gb
Mac OS X - 10.6.4

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP me.. i'm just about getting frustrated here.:(:confused::mad:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Put the disc in it while you're on desktop. Open System Preferences -> Startup disk -> Select the OS X install disc -> Click reboot

It should now boot from the install disc, no need to hold down any buttons

javimald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
CENTRAL FLORIDA
@HellHammer

WOW!! Are you serious?

YOUR THE BOMB! Thanks so much.:cool:

Alright I will try right now as I message.

Question very quick, Will this do a complete erase and install / or will it only do a soft reformat? (What ever its called , i forgot the terms)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Question very quick, Will this do a complete erase and install / or will it only do a soft reformat? (What ever its called , i forgot the terms)

It will just boot from the install disc (i.e. the same function as holding down C or alt). Just follow this guide when when you have booted from the install disc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.