Reformat Old Drive With New Disks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marksandvig, May 11, 2010.

1. marksandvig macrumors regular

Hey all, I plan on buying a new MBP this week and I am going to sell my old macbook to a friend of a friend. I seemed to have misplaced my Snow Leopard discs somewhere and was wondering if I could use the new disks with my new computer to reformat my drive? If not, are there any other options short of paying $30 to re-buy SL for this machine?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You probably won't be able to boot from those DVDs on that other Mac, as those DVDs are machine specific.

You can however use Target Disk Mode to erase the HDD from your new Mac.But since there has to be some OS on there, and your friend needs to have the license to use Mac OS X, why don't you buy the SL DVD anyway?

3. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I am thinking too.. So if I did the target disk mode the drive would just be left blank?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

Also the SL Upgrade DVD (for 29 USD) has no iLife on it. If you contact Apple, the will send you replacement restore DVDs (with iLife) for a fee of 15 to 30 USD.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I was wondering, short of moving houses or rooms, how do you loose something as important and operating system disks.. just wondering.. I have mine all the way back to Tiger... Perhaps I am the one who needs help.:cool:

6. marksandvig thread starter macrumors regular

Valid question. I purchased my computer, moved to college. Moved home for summer. Moved back to college (apartment). Moved home for summer. Moved back to college (different apartment). Moved home for summer. Moved back to college (house). Moved home for summer.

While the smart thing would have been leave the disks at home, I felt that I may need them. Which is how I got to the spot I am currently in.