Reformat OS X Mavericks Help

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dasanii, Jan 10, 2015.

1. dasanii macrumors member

It's been about 2 years since I've had my Mac and it's been getting slow lately. So recently I backed up my entire system on an external hard drive and am planning on reformatting this computer. However, when I reformat it I would like to keep it as OS X Mavericks. I've never reformatted a Mac before, so could someone help me with a step-by-step guide on how to reformat my Mac and re-install Mavericks?

Thanks.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Hold down Command-R at boot to boot into Recovery. Once booted, double-click on "Disk Utility" and erase Macintosh HD under the "Erase" tab. Then, Quit Disk Utility and double-click "Reinstall OS X" to enter the OS X Installer.

Hope this helps.

3. dasanii, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

dasanii thread starter macrumors member

Will I need Mavericks on a USB/CD, or will I be able to download Mavericks from the App store?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The Recovery system should already be on your hard drive. Simply hold down Command-R when you turn it on and it should boot strait into it.

Edit: The Recovery system has its own installer, if that's what you're asking about.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The recovery 650MB utility is already on your drive and that is what you will be booting to with command-r. Then once you erase and click reinstall you will be asked for the AppleID you used to "purchase" Mavericks. After that the ~6GB OS will be downloaded directly from Apple's servers and installed on your drive.