Reformat OSX My MBP-Or Not?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by froggytreafrogg, Oct 8, 2008.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I'm purchasing a Macbook Pro from one of my friends. I was going to reformat it after he sold it to me but I got to thinking. Will my programs (office, iLife, Final Cut, etc) be erased when I reformat. I don't plan to do the 'erase and install' option when installing where the entire disc is wiped out and reinstalled. My main goal to reformat is to clear out all of his documents, settings, and administrator names. It is running OS X Leopard. My main question is: should I reformat the computer? Any suggestions or help, thanks. :apple:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Is he giving you the system disks? if so, those should allow you to do a clean OSX install and put iLife and any apps that come with the computer on.

That is always the best way to start IMHO.

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

thanks for the reply, what is IMHO? I'm sure that he is giving me the discs that come with the computer. Does that have iLife and such? thanks

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

iLife will be on the grey restore disks, but not on a black Leopard install disk. The grey restore disks will also contain the version of OS X that was installed on the MBP when your friend bought it.

IMHO = in my humble opinion

5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

ah, that makes sense, the grey discs are the tiger discs and the black and puple discs are the leopard upgrade. ok, i think i'll try that. thanks for the help.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

To "Reformat" means to erase, format the disk and install the OS. Cleaning up the OS is not reformatting. You should reformat for best results and just reinstall the Final Cut and Office from your friend's retail install disks.

7. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

iLife can be reinstalled using the second reinstall disk that comes with the system. Final Cut will be erased; you will need the disk for that.

So yes, both will be erased, but iLife can be reinstalled at installation time using the second reinstall disk.