Reformat Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmcconkey, Jun 21, 2007.

1. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

I am about to reformat my hard drive on my PBG4 because I have a possible buyer for it, but I have come across a small problem. I have gotten everything backed up and I pop in my Tiger Disk (Full Retail disk not upgrade or PB specific) and once it starts up it will come to the "Apple" screen with the spinning icon and then all of a sudden it starts showing 2 bluetooth mouse illustrations on screen with one showing batteries being put on and the other showing the mouse being turned on. Well my laptop has never had anything bluetooth paired with it nor is bluetooth turned on. Also when I try do something with the trackpad the cursor just stays in the upper left corner. Could someone point me in the right direction so I can get this format started up? Also thanks in advance.

Christopher

2. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Well, let me ask the stupid question first: Do you have anything (apart from your AC adapter) plugged in?

The only solution I know if that isn't the case would be to try a 5 sequential PRAM Zap. Basically, turn the PB on and immediately hold down CMD + OPT + P + R and hold them down through five "gongs".

Afterwards, put your Tiger DVD back in and try again.

3. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

There was nothing in any port except the power adapter. I zapped the PRAM right before bed last night and tried again but this time it didn't ask for the mouse it just went right to a blue screen and stopped. I am going to be back at the house tonight so I will be using the original disks on her. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work unless there is something wrong with the install disk that I have is sending some strange info to my laptop.

Thanks
    Christopher

4. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

The Latest.

I have tried the PRAM zap, no help. I have done a FSCK in single user mode. I am now about to run Cocktail and try one more time. Could the issues that i am seeing be that my HD free space is getting VERY low. I have dealt with Macs since 93 and I have yet to have any problems like this, it has me totally questioning my mac skills lol. But oh well if anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them. If Cocktail doesn't work I will probably be calling Apple, may as well get some use out of my REALLY expensive AppleCare.

Christopher

5. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I called Apple the other day and ran through things with them. They had me go through another PRAM zap and then a FirmWare reset, but it didn't help any. I was going to take it down to my nearest Apple Store, 2 hrs away, but it being the week of the iPhone release I just don't see it happening. Also when I try to sign up on the Concierge site it says all slots are full. Does anyone know how many days in advance this Concierge things works, I want to get things rolling on my laptop but don't want to wait forever.

Thanks
    Christopher

6. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the latest is that I have had to order a new set of install disks from Apple. I got a nice little media mailer from Apple yesterday, order was placed on the 28th of last month, and there was only one disk in there. It was the install disk for Classic/OS9, I had specifically told the tech support guy that I needed the complete set of disks. This is turning into a real nightmare. I am about to get back on the phone with Apple and let them know how annoyed I am at this point.:mad: :mad:

Christopher :mad: