reformat to resell

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dubs83, Oct 6, 2018.

1. dubs83 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm going to sell my macbook air, but want to be 100% certain everything is off it. I've already backed up what I need so do I just need to do a fresh install of the OS so it will wipe everything clean and be ready to sell? If so, how do I do that?

thanks!

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Boot into internet recovery, use disk utility to erase the drive, and reinstall the os.

3. jdogg836 macrumors 6502

jdogg836

Yup, this is correct. OP, do not forget to format the drive. This is not a Windows machine, if you just reinstall the OS you will leave the user data intact.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Was FileVault turned on? If so, just reformat and reinstall. Since FileVault is full disk encryption, the install will wipe the encryption keys and make what's on the drive inaccessible. And if the drive in the Air is an SSD, the erase is not guaranteed to be complete.

Or, can turn on FileVault, then reformat, reinstall. But if drive is an HDD, and depending on size, might take a while to complete the encryption.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

Apple has a useful document for this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065