Reformat trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hershman, Nov 4, 2009.

1. hershman macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to perform a complete reformat and clean install of Tiger on my PPC G5, and have been running into problems with doing so for two days.

I tried to boot my friends old Tiger disk that came with his computer, but that didn't work as I expected. Now that I have the retail CDs, I'm still hanging when I try to boot from disk 1.

It brings up the panic screen with a bunch of kernel errors and etc. with We are hanging here at the bottom.

I've tried holding option, c, etc... It will show my hard drive and my OS X Installation, but when I select the install, I get that same error.

I have also tried installing Ubuntu from a disk, to no avail. I get to the mac face with question mark... then it just boots up my hdd, it wont even show the Ubuntu disk as an option.

I really just want to reformat and install the original factory settings. Can anyone suggest a possible solution?

Specifications of my computer:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.0)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 2 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 1 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are you sure that you are using the right disks for your machine?

3. hershman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. They come in a pack of four CDs, for OS X Tiger 10.4

4. hershman thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying the alternate text based Ubuntu OS installer now, seems like there's a general problem booting from any disk? Is this a common issue?