Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wanderingslc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Just bought a older mac powerbook (A1150, Intel 2.0 dual core with 2gb of ram) from a friend, would like to reformat the hard drive and install the newest version of OSx that it will run. Where is the best place to start, and what version of OSx should I get?

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Just bought a older mac powerbook (A1150, Intel 2.0 dual core with 2gb of ram) from a friend, would like to reformat the hard drive and install the newest version of OSx that it will run. Where is the best place to start, and what version of OSx should I get?

Just in case others get confused. The A1150 is a MacBook Pro (MBP), not the older PPC version (aka PowerBook). Best way to format the drive is to insert the discs the Mac came with and start fresh by booting from the DVD and reinstalling which ever version of OS X it has. I'm guessing OS X Tiger 10.4. The latest version of OS X this MBP can handle is Snow Leopard.

wanderingslc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks, it didn't come with any disks, but I found Snow Leopard on the Apple website for about 30. Excited to start using Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.