reformat w/o original disks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaitanium, Aug 14, 2011.

1. kaitanium macrumors newbie

i was wondering if the install cds follow the computer or the hdd (kind of like does car insurance follow the car or the person)? by this i mean how does the computer recognize what install cd is placed in it?
    am i able to use another mbp's install cd on a fresh empty hdd in another mbp? i have 2 mbps. upgrading the hdd on mbp#2 but dont have the original disks to that. only have the original disks to mbp#1.

i feel like doing a test with mbp#2's current hdd. but dont know how to wipe the drive w/o the discs. i suppose i can take it out, attach it via usb/sata adapter to my mbp#1 and use disk utility to wipe?

2. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Put the hard drive in the MBP that you DO have the restore discs for and install the OS and applications. Then update it via Software Update. You can then move it to the other MBP--provided, of course, that the OS version on the hard drive is equal to or higher than the minimum required by the other MBP.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If your MBPs are the exact same model, you can share the install discs between them. They're not tied to specific machine, but rather specific hardware configuration.

Otherwise, you can clone a fully updated installation on one machine to another using Target Disk Mode.

4. kaitanium thread starter macrumors newbie

naw mbp#2 is last years unibody i5 2.4ghz, and mbp#1 is a 1st gen unibody 2.66ghz core2duo. i have the original leopard disc to mbp#1 as well as a retail $30 version of snow leopard.

if OS discs are hardware tied, then even if i use mpb#1's discs with new hdd connected to mpb#1, then swap that hdd into mbp#2, will it still work/boot? im guessing by your answers, yes it will boot in mbp#2, just as long as i get the os on there. now this fully updated OS on the hdd, will i be able to update with future updates?

cloning probably wont work as i dont want to clone my apps and junk to the new hdd.

extremely helpful guys, thanks!

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just boot from the snow leopard disk and do a fresh install!?!

6. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Exactly right.

Or, if you need the applications on the App Install Disc, install Snow Leopard and then the apps while in the MBP you do have discs for, update, transfer the HD, and off you go.

7. kaitanium thread starter macrumors newbie

yup, put hdd into mac with discs, install, remove, put back in other mac. looks like im off to do it! thx for the help! i hope i dont run into any troubles

8. kaitanium thread starter macrumors newbie

[deleted, forgot to attach hdd cable LOL big time LOL]