reformat windows to mac- lose updates?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by will0407, Jun 29, 2008.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

If I reformatted a windows ipod touch that had the extra apps installed manually to mac, would I lose the updates?

if i do, is there a way of re-installing them for free?

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i do not believe the touch is formatted either way, as the older ones are.

i made the switch to OSX, and restored, as long as you migrate the app pack on your computer, you are all set

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what do you mean migrate the app pack? I'm buying the touch from someone else (not sure if he's been using it on windows), so was just wanting to know if they'd be lost.

I'll try it, if I lose them I lose them, not the end of the world. (unless, as you say, they're not formatted)

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

the app pack is stored on your windows so you have to move it over to mac. the pack is located in C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications on a windows. idk the file system on a mac so i can't tell you where to move it but i'm sure you can find it online somewhere. the app pack is called "iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa"

5. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

Where would that be located on a mac?? I'm already on vacation for the summer, but I have access to my home mac, and I plan on doing the update the day it comes out, or shortly thereafter. I already have all my music and videos on a flash drive, but I forgot about that.

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

x2; I just switched my wife to a Mac Mini from her old pc, and iTunes did not prompt to reformat her Touch; I was surprised, as several of our other former iPods did. Note: She has a Touch that already included the apps, but I don't think that matters in regards to it not need to be formatted.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The older iPods were treated as USB Mass Storage Devices, and as such they had to be formatted using with a filesystem which was compatible with the computer they were tethered to.

The iPod Touch's storage is not mounted in the same way, thus they don't have that requirement. My personal guess is that they just use HFS+ all the time.

I think the JSU unlocking file might be encrypted and locked in to the iTMS username which was used to purchase the upgrade. If that's the case, then even if the previous owner does give you the original file, it'll be useless to you. But you shouldn't need to re-format the iPod Touch in any case.

Note that Restoring the iPod Touch while it's connected to a different computer than the one on which the JSU was purchased, will erase the JSU.