Reformat with a twist

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NathanCH, Jan 7, 2009.

1. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I used the search function on the forum before bugging you guys with possibly an obvious question, but I couldn't find any results that helped me. There are a lot of results on how to reformat OSX, but none talked about bootcamp and how to get rid of bootcamp as well.

Basically my Mac has become too slow to even use anymore. Takes about 30 seconds to open Safari and maybe up to a minute to open Firefox. I want to reformat, but I have bootcamp installed with Windows XP as well. I want to remove Windows XP completely, and I want to un-partition my drive. How can I remove XP, un-partition my drive, and reformat OSX so it's like new?

Thanks in advanced,
    Nathan

2. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Mac OS X is NOT Windows! Have you tired figuring out what is causing the slow down?

Edit: You should be able to do everything you want with the Mac OS X install media.

3. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Well, theres two ways:

One is to launch the Bootcamp assistant, and select the option to remake the Volume into one Partition again, and then install Leopard from the disk.

OR (and I'd just do it this way)

Boot to the Leopard install disk, and select Disk Utility from the Utilites menu on the top bar when it become available.

On the left list, you should see your physical hard drive listed (like 185.435GB Fugistu SerialNumber) click on this, then click Format and format it into Extended Journaled. This will Zero your drive. Once thats done, continue with the installation and Leopard will fully go on your drive.

4. NathanCH thread starter macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Where did you get the impression that I thought OSX was Windows XP? And I've tried some things to figure out why it's so slow but didn't get anywhere. It's been like this for about 6 months and has gradually got worse so I can't really pick out a specific thing. Though here is what I think is causing it:

1. CandyBar. I beleive having a bunch of custom icons and dock isn't helping.

2. Upgrading to Leopard from Tiger. I used "Archive and Install", but I got that blue screen (if anyone remember that from awhile back?). After that Leopard wasn't nearly as fast as Tiger.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for your help :)