Reformat with Fat32 and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cobby174, Apr 16, 2008.

1. cobby174 macrumors newbie

Hai all!!! :D

I'm thinking of reformatting my macbook pro because it's got so much junk on it that I've lost where all my files go, it's disorganized, and running out of space in which I cannot install my Final Cut Studio that is 40+ GB that I just got >>.

So, I have two operating systems at the moment, OS Tiger ~71 GB in total and OS XP ~40 GB in total which makes ~111 GB in total

This laptop's less than 6 months old...

Now, i've backed up everything, so do not worry about that!!! :D mostly on my ipod which can only compatible with Mac OS, and on a fat32 drive for my external harddisk.

Now, seeing as I hardly use windows, I was thinking if it was possible for me to create an 8GB Fat32 Windows Harddrive and I get 103GB on my Mac OS which will not be tiger, but leopard (cause I got the disk), use windows for my website making and simple conversions, maybe 1 game, and my mac for final cut studio along with everything else. And therefore, without the need for parallels or bootcamp and all that, i can just drag the files that I create on windows (for my video making if they require programs that can't run on mac), and just drag it to Mac OS leopard, and vice versa. At the moment I have, as I said before...an NTFS titled 'untitled', and of course when I drag it it says it 'cannot be modified'. So if the windows was FAT32...WIN!! :p

i was wondering if anyone could uh...tell me the best possible way to go about reformatting my computer, which OS first...etc, how to do it, and ye...

thx!!!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It can be done. You will need a program called MacDrive to read the HFS+ partition from Windows though.

edit: oh yeah, and FAT32 is a bit slower than NTFS and only supports file sizes under 4GB.