Reformat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaseClosed, Jul 15, 2007.

1. CaseClosed macrumors newbie

ugh....I don't have any install disks and stuff like that that comes with Mac. I have a PowerBook G4 and I want to Re-install because some guy sold it to me cheap, and well, I don't know any admin passwords. So...I want to re-install. Anyone know if I can get the proper disks to reformat?

Thank You,
    CaseClosed

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe check out eBay for a retail version of OSX. Make sure it's not an OEM copy 'cause then it won't necessarily work.

3. CaseClosed thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Buy it for full price from Apple. You admit the computer was cheap, surely you don't mind spending a little bit of money to get a legal and legitimate copy of OSX running on it.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Talk to the person that sold it to you. The licence "ties" the disks to the computer so the seller has no right to keep them.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't say they have no right to keep 'em, so much as that they have no need or use for them.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, that wasn't quite right. They can keep them, but the licence doesn't allow them to use them.

8. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

some help plz

i just bought a MAC book pro and it has a password on it wen i start it. i wasnt given the password and i cant get a hold of the guy now he went overseas.. so im kind of stuck what can i do.. can i reformat and thats another problem he didnt give me any software for it.

any help would be greatly appreciated

regards
    creativeq6

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pretty much the same answer as above. You need the install discs. You can use them to either reset the password or reformat and reinstall.

10. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

eBay

Call AC or visit a retail store

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Remember that if you go the eBay route, you'll have to get the discs from an identical machine in order for them to work. Also, once you get the discs I recommend doing a clean install (reformat) to get rid of any traces of the old user. The usual risks of a clean install such as data loss, aren't really relevant here since he machine is 'new'. :)

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not if you can find somebody selling the full retail version...

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ignore me. I thought it was an Intel machine. :eek:

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

15. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

thanks guys.. in terms of reformating the laptop how does it go, since its ma first mac.. or is it like a window operating system were u put da cd in and go to bios and work from der..
    also is there any other way den buyin it retail.. i downloaded mac os x 10.4 tiger as a torrent its like 1.74gb its 4 disc all extension of .dmg does that sound right..:confused:

thanks

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think anyone here is going to help you with a bootleg copy.

17. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

18. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you downloaded a torrent of the install disc, it's a bootleg. i.e. illegal.

Try eBay.

19. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

kool and can u guys help me wif how to reformat ill probabl buy it one from an apple dealer i guess dats da best way to go.. just some help on the reformat steps im jsut so use to window style not familiar wif mac reformating dem

20. Cfour macrumors member

Cfour

I found this on another thread that I used when I bought my eMac, thought it might be handy for you.

Worked for me.
    This doesn't get you around reformatting but at least you have the admin password.

Cfour.

21. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

i tried the command u told me however it asks for a new password and i type in something and retyppe it and commands says SORRY i tried heaps of times didnt seem to work.. and while typing it nothing seems to show up as in not even da amount of charaters typed and once i reboot it i type the new password but it doesnt work, which is not a suprise.

any ideas wat im doing wrong :confused:

22. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

is it possible to use a friends mac osx tiger 10.4 to reformat my laptop would serial numbers clash and be a problem

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If your friend has exactly the same type of Mac, then it may be possible. However, their DVD is licensed to use with their machine. Using the DVD on your machine would legally mean you'd have to remove OSX from theirs. I really think eBay is your best bet, unless you can get the original discs back.

24. creativeq6 macrumors newbie

mmm kool.. but den again wat makes me know dat the one i purchase off ebay isnt being used by another user

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nothing. However you'll have the discs and therefore the licence so you'll be the rightful owner. Since you have a PPC machine, you can buy a regular retail version of OSX if you please.