Reformated iPad will not connect to router?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lokerd, Jun 7, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Hello.

I sold my wifi iPad via Amazon. Right before shipping it, I reformatted it. First, I reset to factory settings, then I connected to iTunes and Restored. Before I reset the ipad, it worked perfect, connecting to dozens of networks with out any challenge. After the restore had completed, it came up and appeared to be working fine. However, I did not attempt to connect to my home network after I restored.

It arrived today to the buyer in New York, but it will not connect to their home router. They have TimeWarner Internet...and a Netgear router. They have turned off security, restarted the iPad and the router, but are still getting the message that the iPad is unable to connect to the network.

I talked with them for a bit trying to trouble shoot. The last I left them with was to install iTunes, and try to restore the iPad to their computer, that somehow the iPad left my house with out an ID or something.

So, am I missing something here? What could have gone wrong in the formatting? Is it their router? Or the iPad? Or both?

Thanks!!

2. Noumenon macrumors regular

Reformatting won't cause a hardware problem. It's likely the new owners don't have the router or iPad setup right. Do they have access control on (the router settings in advanced wireless)? This option prevents access unless the devices Mac address is added to this list.

3. huskerchad macrumors regular

I second that. Do they have MAC filtering turned on for their wireless router? I use it and in the past I've had a few d'oh moments where I knew I was using the right SID and security key, but forgot to turn off MAC filtering.

4. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I concur sounds like your router / AP setup might have MAC address filtering on so if the MAC address on your ipad does not match the list on the router, it will not connect. Also, make sure your router is set to WPA2 with AES, instead of TKIP as its more secure and more stable.

5. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Thanks for the feedback everybody. It turns out when I reformatted here, before shipping, i must have wiped it's name or something. It came up with the plug symbol on first power, I plugged it into my computer, but did not sync. I didn't want to put any info in...so, I unplugged it, made sure it worked, and boxed it up.

After they connected to iTunes, they were able to get it connected to their router. I am not sure if they restored again, or simply connected and synced that did the trick, but they are hot now!

Thanks for being here to help!!