Reformating 2010 Mac Book Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diim, Oct 9, 2010.

1. diim macrumors newbie

diim

So yesterday I decided to reformat my new MBP. I had it dual booting with Win7 and I just didn't like how hot my MBP got so I got rid of it.

So I decided to reformat and pop in a fresh install of OSX, but I'm not sure if I reinstalled it properly. The reason why I say this is cause traditionally when reformatting my previous macs I would just follow the steps of the CD where then formatting the drive option was part of the step if I remember correctly.

This time after putting in the OSX cd once it reboot, I had to go to the utilities option select my drive to format or it would just reinstall the OS over top what was already there. After installing I noticed I had to rename my drive as well cause it was unknown. I never had to rename my drive before, so I'm not sure if I did this properly.

So did I correctly format my MBP? Is there another way to do this to bring it back to exact factory specs? If not can someone let me know how to properly format my MBP?

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When you reformat the drive, it will be named as Untitled or Unnamed or something similar if you forgot to give it a name. Sounds like you did it correctly

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

When reinstalling open disk utility, click partition, make sure you select one partition. There is a space for you to type in a disk name and the format, you want Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

Once thats done then you can close Disk Utility and install OS X.