reformating a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by --RAVIII, Jul 27, 2011.

1. --RAVIII macrumors newbie

i have a macbook pro that i bought about a year ago, i want to reformat it but i dont know how to
    i got the two CDs that it came with when i bought the macbook (mac os x install dvd and the applications install dvd)

i just want to make sure im doing the right thing to reformat it

im assuming i first turn on the computer, put in the mac os x install dvd in, turn off the computer, turn it back on then hold down c as the computer starts on then i follow the steps. after that do i put in the applications install dvd and install that cd?

thank you!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You don't need to restart again. On the first boot up just hold down the option button until it shows you your partition (Macintosh HD), then insert the install DVD. Wait a few seconds and the install disc will appear beside your Macintosh HD partition.

3. --RAVIII thread starter macrumors newbie

what happens when i put in the install dvd (when the computers on) and open that dvd, why do you have to hold down c what does that do

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

The same thing holding down f8 on a PC and choosing the DVD drive as a boot drive: it makes you boot off of the DVD, allowing you to erase the hard drive using disk utility and reinstalling OS X.

Not doing so will just result in your MBP booting as it usually does. Opening the DVD when the computer is booted from OS X will do nothing at all for you.

Is it clearer now?

5. scboxa macrumors member

im pretty sure you can just instert the cd when ur on desktop and just click install snow leopard, itll restart for you and when it says continue install just click on the top and pick disk utility. your drive is there and you can partition it just make sure you pick the correct method. click the partition tab i beleive it is and click the tab that is beside 'erease' there you can chose what kind of format you want to do. i suggest a zero out because your not selling it, after you pick click erease and there you go.