Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djmonty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
i have a 2010 macbook white.
i was finding it all cloged up so i thought of having lion installed but also a clean format.
i backed up all my data. and i deleted bootcamp(windows xp) by going to bootcamp assistant and restoring the partition.
after doin this i restarted my laptop and the system got hung. wat i observed was that the mouse would move around on the screen seamlessly but the mouse would refuse to click on any particular selection(icon, word, menu) i first thought it was an issue with the trackpad so i connected my usb mouse which demonstrated the same problem.
i restarted the pc twice and i still had that issue.
so i put in the mac osx snow leopard disk that came with the mac and tried to reinstal it but it went extremely slow.
for half an hour the apple logo wid the spiral animation in the bottom was on and after that wen it came to choosing the language it refused to select the language for about 15mins.it wouldnt select via mouse nor by navigating through the keyboard.
atlast i reformated the hard drive again to mac journaled and then it began the installation of the mac operating system.
it showed me 40minutes in the beginning which took it 1 hour to reach 20 minutes and after reaching 20 minutes it got hung again.

could some1 please temme wat is the cause for this and wat could be the solution

its just a 3 month old laptop.
hasnt had any physical damage to effect the hardware and has always been kept at home itself.

please do reply with a solution.

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I would first recommend running the Apple Hardware Test to check your MacBook's internal components.

To run the Apple Hardware Test (or AHT), insert the Bundled Applications Disc that came with your computer and then restart the computer while holding down the D key. For more information on how to use the Apple Hardware Test, see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509.

If Apple Hardware Test does not report any issues, I would then suggest resetting the parameter RAM (PRAM) and System Management Controller (SMC) followed by performing a "zero fill" of your MacBook's internal hard disk. This will write zeros across the entire disk, completely erasing it.

To reset the parameter RAM on your MacBook, turn the computer off, then press the power button and immediately hold down Option-Command-P-R until you hear the computer chime twice.

To reset the System Management Controller, turn the computer off, connect the MagSafe power adapter, then hold down the (left) Shift-Control-Option keys and press the power button. You can then turn the computer back on after releasing the key combination.

To perform a zero fill and re-install Mac OS X, follow these instructions:

• Start your computer from the Mac OS X Install DVD (the first gray disc that shipped with your MacBook).
  • When the Mac OS X Installer appears, select a language and then click on the Next button (which looks like an arrow).
  • Click on Utilities in the menu bar and then click on Disk Utility.
  • Select your MacBook's internal hard disk from the left hand side of the Disk Utility window.
  • Click on the Erase tab.
  • Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and give the volume a name, such as "Macintosh HD".
  • Click on Security Options, and then choose "Zero Out Data".
  • Click on Erase.

This process can take anywhere from an hour or longer, depending on the size of your hard disk. Once the disk has been zero filled, attempt to re-install Mac OS X again.

If you are still unable to re-install Mac OS X after performing the above actions, I would advise taking your MacBook to a Genius Bar at an Apple Store (if one is available in your area) or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the computer diagnosed.

Best of luck and have a great day. :)

djmonty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
i really appreciate the time you've spent to gimme a detail explanation and detailed procedure to get the desired result..which is to get this mac book started again...
ive followed all your steps and write now as i am typing this particular message to you. my laptop is undergoing zero out data.
i have my fingers crossed and hope this thing clears out as soon as possible.
thank you so much for your support and i will let u know incase i stumble again and would need your assistance.
APPRECIATE YOUR WONDERFUL HELP
REGARDS
HARRISON MONTEIRO
http://www.facebook.com/officialdjmonty

have a nice day. keep in touch
:)

I would first recommend running the Apple Hardware Test to check your MacBook's internal components.

To run the Apple Hardware Test (or AHT), insert the Bundled Applications Disc that came with your computer and then restart the computer while holding down the D key. For more information on how to use the Apple Hardware Test, see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509.

If Apple Hardware Test does not report any issues, I would then suggest resetting the parameter RAM (PRAM) and System Management Controller (SMC) followed by performing a "zero fill" of your MacBook's internal hard disk. This will write zeros across the entire disk, completely erasing it.

To reset the parameter RAM on your MacBook, turn the computer off, then press the power button and immediately hold down Option-Command-P-R until you hear the computer chime twice.

To reset the System Management Controller, turn the computer off, connect the MagSafe power adapter, then hold down the (left) Shift-Control-Option keys and press the power button. You can then turn the computer back on after releasing the key combination.

To perform a zero fill and re-install Mac OS X, follow these instructions:

• Start your computer from the Mac OS X Install DVD (the first gray disc that shipped with your MacBook).
  • When the Mac OS X Installer appears, select a language and then click on the Next button (which looks like an arrow).
  • Click on Utilities in the menu bar and then click on Disk Utility.
  • Select your MacBook's internal hard disk from the left hand side of the Disk Utility window.
  • Click on the Erase tab.
  • Select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and give the volume a name, such as "Macintosh HD".
  • Click on Security Options, and then choose "Zero Out Data".
  • Click on Erase.

This process can take anywhere from an hour or longer, depending on the size of your hard disk. Once the disk has been zero filled, attempt to re-install Mac OS X again.

If you are still unable to re-install Mac OS X after performing the above actions, I would advise taking your MacBook to a Genius Bar at an Apple Store (if one is available in your area) or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the computer diagnosed.

djmonty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
it worked perfectly...thanks for the great help
i would first recommend running the apple hardware test to check your macbook's internal components.

To run the apple hardware test (or aht), insert the bundled applications disc that came with your computer and then restart the computer while holding down the d key. For more information on how to use the apple hardware test, see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509.

If apple hardware test does not report any issues, i would then suggest resetting the parameter ram (pram) and system management controller (smc) followed by performing a "zero fill" of your macbook's internal hard disk. This will write zeros across the entire disk, completely erasing it.

To reset the parameter ram on your macbook, turn the computer off, then press the power button and immediately hold down option-command-p-r until you hear the computer chime twice.

To reset the system management controller, turn the computer off, connect the magsafe power adapter, then hold down the (left) shift-control-option keys and press the power button. You can then turn the computer back on after releasing the key combination.

To perform a zero fill and re-install mac os x, follow these instructions:

• start your computer from the mac os x install dvd (the first gray disc that shipped with your macbook).
  • when the mac os x installer appears, select a language and then click on the next button (which looks like an arrow).
  • click on utilities in the menu bar and then click on disk utility.
  • select your macbook's internal hard disk from the left hand side of the disk utility window.
  • click on the erase tab.
  • select "mac os extended (journaled)" and give the volume a name, such as "macintosh hd".
  • click on security options, and then choose "zero out data".
  • click on erase.

this process can take anywhere from an hour or longer, depending on the size of your hard disk. Once the disk has been zero filled, attempt to re-install mac os x again.

If you are still unable to re-install mac os x after performing the above actions, i would advise taking your macbook to a genius bar at an apple store (if one is available in your area) or visit an apple authorized service provider to have the computer diagnosed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.