Reformating Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by allenplay, Jan 23, 2011.

1. allenplay macrumors newbie

I have tried every possible way to try and bypass the, "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files could not be moved" error message (defragmenting, removing virtual machine files, etc etc...). The last resort is to completely reformat the disk.

I have opened disk utility and this is what I get:
    [​IMG]

The "Erase" option is blanked out.
    Am I supposed to reformat the internal hard drive by using the installation disks that came with my Mac or is there some other way I'm missing?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you are supposed to use the grey Restore DVD 1 that came with your Mac to do this, as you are about to erase the partition you are currently booted from, which is not supported.
    Beware, that erasing and reformatting your HDD via this method will delete all data on it, so make sure to have a fresh backup.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you will have to use the installation discs, or boot from a clone, etc.
    You cannot erase the active disc, that is where your OS resides

The error you are getting is common with BootCamp Assistant
    It means you don't have enough contiguous space

The best solution (IMO) is to clone your drive, boot from the clone, erase your drive and clone back... then run BootCamp Assistant

4. allenplay thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already backed up my files, but I have another question.

I'm running Snow Leopard and this Mac originally came with Leopard (I have installation disks for 10.5.3). If I use these disks, will I get the Leopard OS? I have no idea where my Snow Leopard disk is, so will I have to buy a new one to get back into Snow Leopard?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't restore to Leopard. Wait until you get SL back.

If you bought it direct from Apple, they might be willing to give you a replacement disc, call Apple Care, but paying the $29 might just be easier/faster.

B