Reformating Mac, forgot to erase partition.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dndandrea, Jul 3, 2012.

1. dndandrea macrumors 6502

I just sold my iMac since I'm buying the new MacBook pro but I think I might have messed something up. I inserted the Mac osx install cd that came with the iMac and restarted the computer holding 'C' so it would boot into the disc. I read that you're supposed to then go to utilities and delete your hard drive stuff before reinstalling it. I accidentally skipped that and just clicked reinstall.

I'm looking at the status bar and it didn't say anything about removing data. It's just "installing Mac OS X in the disk "Macintosh HD"

Does this mean it's not going to restore to factory settings? I'm afraid to cancel it in the middle of this process since I don't want to corrupt all the files.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! Thanks

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

It's just going to reinstall the OS. I think all settings will be set to default, but all apps and data will still be there.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just doing a reinstall like this is not going to change any settings or data. When you get done your system will look just like it did before.

Sounds like you will want to repeat this and erase the drive before you do the next install.

4. arashb macrumors 6502

Why not cancel? If the files do get corrupted, wasn't your main goal to delete all the files?