reformating pre-existing win7 bootcamp partition and reinstall windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by smellz, Oct 12, 2010.

1. smellz macrumors member

owh well dont know if u guys understand my topic lol. anyway please share your knowledge.

guys i'm using macosx 10.6.4 and bootcamp assistant 3.1

now here is the problem my windows 7 is infected with virus (thats why windows suck big time) and i need to reformat my windows 7 and reinstall a new windows 7. how am i supposed to do it? insert the installation disk and do like how we initially installed windows 7? just format the partition and reinstall again? i just want to make sure so i ask before doing anything.

or can i do this? i use winclone to restore? any1 have any idea? i'm new to all this i dont know how to do it. i have backup using winclone but how do i do it? do i still need to format then only use winclone? some 1 can guide me with tips or video it should be great!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You should try restoring the Winclone image first, assuming that the image was already not infected.

Worst case scenario. Run Boot Camp Assistant again to remove the Windows partition (restore to a single partition) and start again.

B

3. smellz thread starter macrumors member

let me try directly restoring the image first. if fail i will use bootcamp partition assistant but through reading on the net they say after removing partition i need a disk defragment program to defrag then only i can restore?

cause my question is to restore pre-existing bootcamp partition.

4. dq46 macrumors newbie

Guys- apologies for crashing your thread (newbie today!). Not a Mac user (yet..) but trying to understand Windows partition sizing. If say the NTFS partition is set at (say) 50Gb is that all I can uses for W7 OS + personal files/programs etc? If folks regularly dual boot would they typically split the HD 50/50? Or would they have 'shared' access to personal files (docs, music, photos etc) using a util such a MacDrive?

Again sorry for jumping in. Any advise would be appreciated.
    regards
    D

5. smellz thread starter macrumors member

by the way thanks balamw, i've restored using winclone and updated all my lost data. thanks. everything works perfectly fine.

yes if u put 50gb u only can use 50gb but you can expand it later. myself i divide equally because on my win7 i install games. we all know gaming on mac is really bad compared to windows. but careful if u want to expand it. might need to defrag. quite complicated. i'm not really a pr0 but just sharing my 2 cents. about shared access, u cant share because both partition format is different. windows is ntfs and mac is hfs i think. if u use win xp maybe you can share because win xp is fat32 if i'm not mistaken.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If one were to use MacDrive, you can natively read and write to HFS+ from windows, so you can share it. I only have a 70GB windows partition, as I really don't need that much space for office docs and a few games

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Personally, I find a NAS or FAT32/exFAT partiton safer than MacDrive/NTFS drivers to share between OSes. I have an HP MediaSmart server that serves this purpose extremely well between my three Macs, whichever OS they are running at the time.

B