Reformatted air shows black screen on startup

dubs83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
after I reformatted my MacBook Air and restart it, I get a black screen BUT I can faintly see the welcome screen in the background. I restart a few times and the. It starts up fine. So...it occasionally shows a black screen and then sometimes it doesn’t. Any idea what is going on? I’m about to sell this laptop and not sure I want to sell it if I do t know what this issue is. I thought my screen brightness was really down (which is why I could still faintly see the welcome screen) but after several restarts the welcome screen pops up. Just curious what tellhe black screen is...

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It could be a loose connection or a defective backlight.

Power up the machine and, when the screen is black, shine a bright light through the Apple logo on the top case (assuming the MBP has a lighted Apple logo). If you see something on the screen, the backlight may be defective if there are no loose connections.

If there is no lighted Apple logo, shine a bright light on the screen at an angle. If you can see a faint image, the backlight may be defective if there are no loose connections.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
To rule out an OS software issue, it would be handy to boot to external drive of a known good OS.

You could also use Recovery Mode do to reinstall any missing or damaged part of the OS. Will only help if it is software problem.