Reformatted MBP, clean install of OS X- iPad sync issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phillyred79, Mar 24, 2011.

1. phillyred79 macrumors regular

So, I wanted to freshen up my 2008 MBP and zeroed out my HD, reinstalled OS X 10.5, upgraded to 10.6.6 and when I plugged my iPad in to sync it said something about this device is already activated on another computer etc do you want to erase it and resync. I said no. Is there a way for me to reauthorize this laptop since its physically the same one?? Before I reformatted I did copy all of my important files to a time capsule (not an official backup but just a file transfer). I basically want to resync my iPad 1 with all of its apps, music, photos etc, and when I plug in my iPad 2 have it be able to sync the music etc.. Sorry if I worded my question confusingly!

2. guitardogcar macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ouch. Here's a take...

You have to start over. Without the files in the same place and with a different OS, I believe your chances are the same as plugging it in to ANY computer. They will want to reformat the thing.

If your backup file is able to be located, I don't think it will work with a new iTunes version...someone might be able to check that out. Not sure there.

gdc

3. phillyred79 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah.. All signs say I need to deauthorize my "2" devices even though they are the same device.. When I go to my accounts screen I don't see a "Deauthorize All" button.. My itunes is up to date as well.. hmmm...

4. guitardogcar macrumors member

Deaurhorize is for accounts where DRM matters. I have two iPads (1&2) and two iPhones (3GS and 4 -at&t) hooked to the same account. All programs work. It is a matter of logging in to iTunes. You need to make sure the applications folder is in the right place and resync. You will lose data previously stored, but most should be on your drive regardless.